Workplace Ergonomics - Tips to Achieve A Comfortable Work Environment

I first began to appreciate the importance concerning ergonomics in the workplace when I began to work in an office setting almost 10 years ago. Prior to that, I was aware that in certain scenarios following periods of heavy typing while at a keyboard, my wrists would be sore for some time afterwards. But at that time, I did not fully grasp just what it was that was causing my discomfort. Shortly after beginning work with my current employer, I became familiar with the term known as Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is a condition that results from the compression of the median nerve as it passes through the carpal tunnel of the wrist. For an illustration showing the location of the median nerve in the wrist, you may go to the website Wikipedia.org and begin a search using the words Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. If this condition goes unchecked, it can lead to discomfort levels in the wrists ranging from mild to moderate and severe. A common symptom experienced is a tingling sensation ranging from the thumb and up through the index finger.

The wrists are not the only portions of the body that can be subject to pain and discomfort from prolonged usage of a computer while sitting at a desk. The elbows, shoulders, neck and back are also potential areas of concern that can pose serious problems over the course of time if appropriate preventive measures are not put into place. Headaches can also result if you are sitting too close to the monitor or if there is too much reflective glare from existing lighting.

A few months after beginning work at my new office, I began to experience mild inflammation in my right wrist. I spoke to my supervisor to appraise him of the situation and that is where I learned about Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. He also suggested that an ergonomic evaluation be performed at my workstation with the intent of avoiding any other situations that could possibly arise. A subsequent visit to my doctor confirmed that in fact I did have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Some of my coworkers underwent surgery to correct the symptoms they were experiencing from Carpal Tunnel but I was intent on doing everything I could to make sure I did not need the operation as well.

The term ergonomics originates from the Greek ergon, meaning work, and nomos, meaning natural laws. The overall concept of ergonomics takes into account of ensuring that the equipment being used as well as the overall environment that it is being used in is fitted to the needs of the worker with the intention of preventing repetitive motion injuries. If you are not sure what a repetitive motion injury feels like, imagine how your knees would feel after walking up and down a flight of stairs for an extended period of time.

A staff member at my office who had received specialized training in ergonomics came to my desk and took a series of measurements. Things such as my height, the height of my desk, the angle of my legs when sitting, the angle of my elbows while typing, wrist angle, type of keyboard being used as well as angle of my vision in relation to the height of the monitor were noted. From there, various adjustments of the height for my monitor, desk and chair were made and after that I was told that everything should be fine. The recommendation was made for me to ensure that I took a break now and then and rotated my wrists back and forth to minimize any strain resulting from prolonged keyboarding.

After receiving a promotion to supervisor and reporting to my current office, I was selected to receive training for the purpose of learning how to conduct an ergonomic evaluation. It was there that I learned about the necessary adjustments of a person's workstation so that as a result, the staff member would be sitting in what is called a position of neutral posture. A neutral posture position will basically result in your legs being at a right angle when sitting, your forearms and wrists will be straight when typing and the angle of your seat will be at 90 degrees with proper lumbar support being provided. The shoulders should also be straight, not hunched up or slouching. Your level of horizontal vision should be such that you are looking at the top of the actual monitor screen with the angle of your neck being perpendicular to the floor. To view an illustration that outlines proper posture while using a computer at a workstation, click here.

A wide variety of ergonomic equipment is available for use in the workplace. Gel pads can be used to support the wrists when using a keyboard and mouse. Ergonomic chairs allow for various adjustments to be made with the intent of enhancing personnel comfort. A glare protector can be installed to cut down on glare from monitor screens and reduce the possibility of headaches occuring. An electric stapler can be used in place of a manual one. Braces can be worn on the wrists to provide additional support. You may wish to give thought to using a document holder that places your documents directly in front of you so that you don't have to look at them with your neck facing to the side of your monitor. Think about having an ergonomic, contoured keyboard in place if your wrists continue to bother you. It is good to have frequently used items within a 180 degree angle reach so you can get them easily without the need to lean forward and put strain on your back.

If you are one who finds yourself experiencing problems at the workplace as a result of prolonged computer and keyboard usage, bring the matter up with your supervisor. See if it is possible to have an ergonomic evaluation performed for your workstation. Simple adjustments at your desk can make a major difference in your comfort while working.

The content of this article is based upon the personal experiences of the author and is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice. You can also apply suggestions outlined in this article to places at home where a computer is used. But by all means, take a proactive approach to making sure that your desk is ergonomically friendly. Don't let ignorance result in potential long-term discomfort and problems for you.

Erik von Werlhof is a retired Navy veteran who currently lives in Sacramento, CA with his wife Betty. He works as a program manager in an office environment setting. Since receiving specialized training in ergonomics, he has performed dozens of ergonomic evaluations in the workplace and routinely provides counseling to staff on various ergonomic related issues. To learn more about what can be done for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, visit:

http://treatcarpaltunnel.evwsite.com/


Original article

No comments: