Your Business Depends On Energy - Yours

Don't Let The Summer Doldrums Wreck Your Momentum

I don't know whether it's the summer heat, or the unusual amount of physical work I've had to do lately, but for some reason the other day I just struggled to get through my day. It's not that I wasn't motivated - I was as excited as ever to run my business and as passionate as ever about my mission - but I just had no energy. I felt like a melting ice cube, all day.

Every now and then, we all run into a low-energy day. Even if you do a great job with your daily health habits, it can happen to you any time. Here are some ideas to help get through those melting-ice days.

First, if you can, change the dynamic or surroundings of your work. Sometimes, I'll load up the laptop and head to a nearby coffee shop to do some writing or planning work. There's nothing wrong with my home office - in fact, I have a wonderful office with an inspiring view of the mountains - but sometimes a change of scenery will help jump-start my energy. Be careful - don't use all your energy moving from place to place, and don't make it about the distraction. But sometimes, a new chair can make a difference. And often, just stepping outside for five minutes can do the trick.

See what you can do to re-energize yourself. Do a little brief, extra exercise. If you have an all-natural energy drink, or a great energy supplement, take it. The old trick of splashing cold water on your face can really help, especially if you haven't had enough sleep.

A little extra caffeine won't kill you... but be VERY careful not to overdo it. I lost track of my caffeine intake the other day, and before I knew it, I had problems with intestinal discomfort, heat exhaustion, and maybe even a little dehydration (despite drinking liters of water).

Talk yourself through it. Break large tasks into smaller ones, and focus on one small piece at a time. Make yourself put one foot in front of the other, metaphorically speaking, until you make it through your day.

Don't dismiss the notion of the brief power-nap!

Put off the most challenging tasks - the ones for which you need to be at your best - if you can. Reschedule them to another day when you'll be more energetic.

Get help. Back in my Army days, I was a newspaper editor. One of my best friends was a reporter, and one day he had a major story due for which I was holding my deadline. But he showed up out-of-sorts, to say the least, and probably would've been on sick call if not for his trooper-like desire to get me my copy. I couldn't write the thing for him - I didn't have the facts - so I just pushed him to "get some words on paper" and let me do my thing as an editor. It worked. If you work alone, like I do these days, it's a little more difficult to get help... but you probably do have someone who's as close as a phone call and who can help pick you up.

If you do a good job on the five key daily health habits I call "The NEWSS" - Nutrition, Exercise, Water, Sleep, and Supplements - you'll have fewer of those melting-ice days, and they won't be as severe. So if the low-energy thing starts to persist, renew your efforts. Stop eating processed garbage "food." Work out at least three times a week. Get your two liters of water and eight hours of sleep. And take at least one good nutritional supplement. If things still don't turn around, you may have to see your doctor.

Your business depends on your performance, which depends on your energy level. Guard it zealously. And when you have one of those low-energy days, remember that an overall healthy lifestyle will mean that this is one problem you won't have to deal with often.

by Michael D. Hume, M.S.

Michael Hume is a speaker, writer, and consultant specializing in helping people maximize their potential and enjoy inspiring lives. As part of his inspirational leadership mission, he coaches executives and leaders in growing their personal sense of well-being through wealth creation and management, along with personal vitality.

Michael and his wife, Kathryn, divide their time between homes in California and Colorado. They are very proud of their offspring, who grew up to include a homemaker, a rock star, a service talent, and a television expert. Two grandchildren also warm their hearts! Visit Michael's web site at http://michaelhume.net/


Original article

No comments: